American Cinematographer seeks an associate editor with first-rate copy-editing, fact-checking and writing skills to join a team of writers and editors at the world's leading journal on motion-imaging techniques.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Copy edit first drafts of highly technical production articles submitted by freelance writers.
• Send revised copy to interviewees for fact checking and to solicit additional detail (if necessary); update copy, rewriting as necessary; run final copy by magazine's technical editor.
• Attend screenings or view DVDs to assist supervising editors in planning upcoming features and editorial calendar.
• Field pitches from writers, publicists and filmmakers and, when appropriate for consideration, present pitches to supervising editors.
• Write articles (time permitting), conducting all necessary interviews and, when possible, visiting sets and/or facilities associated with production and/or postproduction.
• Gather pertinent press releases and contribute copy to various magazine departments.
• Review final layouts to ensure that the most relevant photos/diagrams are included.
• Proofread and correct semifinal and final pages.
• Write text copy for monthly "e-Newsletter" preview of AC and other promotional materials.
• Write and edit collateral for Circulation Director, including select advertising copy, product descriptions, letters to subscribers and former subscribers, and introductory text for digital edition.
• Attend film festivals, filmmaker receptions, trade shows and other events on AC's behalf, with an eye on content creation.
Assume some day-to-day administrative and business functions of editorial department: Process payments for freelance writers, printer and other vendors in a timely fashion; keep accurate files of business transactions; provide editor with periodic budget updates.
Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications or a related field, and 3-5 years of journalism/professional communications experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Managerial experience, including budgeting, will be considered a major plus.
Must have comprehensive knowledge of communication concepts and high-level skills in writing (from journalism to marketing copy), editing and interviewing. Must have solid organizational skills, mastery of basic computer programs (Word, Excel, Google apps, etc.) and ability to keep up with changing technological demands. Must also possess networking and interpersonal skills, creativity, initiative, adaptability, diplomacy and ability to handle sensitive and confidential material. Knowledge of or familiarity with motion-imaging production techniques is required.
Employee must work on site at the magazine's office in Burbank, Calif. Review of applications will begin immediately. To be considered for this position or to receive further information, please send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must complete an editing test administered by AC editors.